Every once in a while I like to read my Portuguese Bible I was given when I was in my early twenties. It has been a great companion and it contains many notes I wrote while listening to sermons or Bible studies. Today I found a bookmark I received at a camp once. It is wonderful to be reminded of the amazing attributes of God and bring everything into perspective once again. I would like to share what the bookmark says with you today.
Discovering God’s attributes (qualities) and its benefits.
1. Because God is a Person (“The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth”.John 1:14) I will seek a deep and personal relationship with Him.
2. Because God is Omnipotent (“When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, ‘I am God Almighty;walk before me faithfully and be blameless.” Genesis 17:1 and “And they were calling to one another: ‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.’ ” Isaiah 6:3) He can help me in any situation.
3. Because God is Omnipresent (“Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.If I say, ‘Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,’ even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.” Psalm 139:7-12) He will always be with me.
4. Because God is Omniscient (“Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit”. Psalm 147:5 ) I will go to Him with all my concerns and my questions.
5. Because God is Sovereign (“‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, ‘who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.’” Revelation 1:8 and “‘You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honour and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.’” Revelation 4:11) I will submit to His truth with a glad heart.
6. Because God is Holy (“for it is written: ‘Be holy, because I am Holy.’ ” 1 Peter 1:16) I will dedicate my life to Him with purity, worship and service.
7. Because God is Truth (“Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6 ) I will believe in what He says and will live by it.
8. Because God is Righteous (“You are righteous, Lord, and your laws are right.” Psalms 119:137) I will follow His ways.
9. Because God is Just (“He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.” Deuteronomy 32:4) He will always treat me with justice.
10. Because God is Love (“I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.” Psalm 57:9-10) He is unconditionally seeking my well-being.
11. Because God is Merciful (“For the Lord your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your ancestors, which he confirmed to them by oath.” Deuteronomy 4:31) I know He forgives all my sins.
12. Because God is Faithful (“Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.” Deuteronomy 7:9) I will trust that He will always fulfill His promises.
13. Because God Never Changes (“‘I the Lord do not change. So you, the descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed.” Malachi 3:6) My future is eternal and secure.